When Marc and I put together our wedding registry about 3 years ago, we came across many “wedding registry checklists.” Many of these checklists have you register for 12 formal settings and 12 casual settings and 12 of every type of glassware imaginable. And if you didn’t have enough room (or guests) for all of that, you still needed to add the panini press, rice cooker, and other “essential” appliances.
Two and a half years later, we found out what we needed and what we didn’t.
While we have always been cookers, going through the journey to find a healthy diet has led us to our top food items as well.
The following is a list of our top ten foods and kitchen items.
Our top 10 overrated kitchen items:
- The rice cooker
- Martini Glasses
- A wall clock
- Juice-maker (unfortunately I have only used this twice)
- Spice rack – we realistically only use a handful of the spices provided
- Canisters – nice in theory, but we don’t regularly use grains or sugar, so what else but coffee to put in them?
- Shaker (for mixed drinks)
- Waffle Iron
- Fancy monogrammed appetizer plates
- Crystal Goblets
Luckily we were smart about what we registered for and still use most of it today.
Top ten items we use in the kitchen:
- A cutting board (we use one side for meat and one side for fruits and veggies, we had those flimsy ones for the longest time and finally invested in a good one that we use a ton!)
- A salad spinner
- Big skillet (the biggest one that doesn’t come in the cookware set)
- Kitchen scale
- Coffee maker and grinder (for the husband)
- Pirex cookware set (we accidentally got doubles, but still use them both!)
- Pirex food containers (for leftovers)
- A good set of knives (good knives are essential!)
- Baking set (mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons)
We also have some faithful favorites when it comes to food and spices. Here’s a peek into our cabinets and fridge…
Top ten spices and “flavorings” used:
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- coconut oil
- balsamic vinegar
- lemon pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Sea salt
- Chili Powder
Top ten pantry items:
- Tomato sauce
- Macadamia nuts
- Beef jerky
- Fruit leather
- Almond butter
- Canned tuna
- Roasted red peppers
Top 10 refrigerator items (recently):
- Green beans
- Snap peas
Top 10 freezer items (recently):
- Bananas (peeled and in chunks)
- Coconut milk (in ice cube trays)
- Raw milk (in ice cube trays)
- Sirloin steak
- Ground Beef
- Frozen assorted fruit
- Hamburger patties
What about you? What are your top items?