I’m a picky red-sauce eater. Most restaurant sauces make me gag; they are too sweet and I don’t care for the green pepper taste that many of them seem to have. I prefer to make my own sauce at home. Spaghetti was one of the first things I learned to cook – my dad taught me, so I have fond memories with it as well.
This week I was craving spaghetti sauce but since we aren’t eating pasta, I could only eat the sauce. Then I got to thinking, meat sauce is just like tomato soup with ground beef (close enough, right?). So I kept telling myself that it was perfectly okay to eat the sauce sans noodles. And I still enjoyed it. I could try it over zucchini strips (aka zucchini pasta) or any other vegetable. You can also dip celery or vegetables into it, or just eat it with a salad.
It’s still warm and sunny here, but this would be a nice winter meal, too.
Lulu’s Favorite Garlic Meat Sauce
Makes approx. 4 servings (more if using pasta and not heavily sauced)
- 1 pound ground beef (preferably 100% grassfed)
- optional – add a little chopped liver with the ground beef
- 2 15-ounce cans tomato sauce (find sauce with no sugar added)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar or Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (or 1/2 tsp each oregano and basil)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Heat large skillet or pot with olive oil and add ground beef.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, pulling apart and crumbling the meat, and add diced onion and a dash of balsamic vinegar or Worcestershire sauce.
- When meat has browned, drain and return to stove top, add garlic cloves and stir.
- Add tomato sauce, seasonings, and stir.
- Let simmer, uncovered (if you pan is shallow, it could get messy) 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add more seasonings to taste (I like a lot of garlic).
Pingback: Whole30 – Week 2 of Paleo Eating « thelifeoflulubelle
Cool blog! Check out this sauce… it’s the only one I’ve been able to find pre-made, and sometimes that kind of convenience is worth ALOT!
(this is my blog)
We like the green sauce from Trader Joes too. Surprised that the pre-made sauce doesn’t have added sugar!