My husband wakes up quite early to get ready for work and sometimes he gets tired of eating eggs and bacon every morning (and since being pregnant, I am not a fan of the smell of bacon lingering in our home, either).
Last night he prepped and cooked a simple, grain-free breakfast casserole (inspired by this recipe) and had it ready to go the next morning. It was a quick, easy, and healthy solution to breakfast!
Grain-free Spicy Breakfast Casserole
- 8 eggs
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Brown sausage in bacon grease or olive oil – place in bowl
- In the same pan, cook spinach until just wilted
- Mix sausage, spinach, and cheese together
- Whisk together eggs and mix into sausage mix
- Dump in a 8×8 oven-safe dish and cook at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until eggs are cooked through and no longer runny in the center
- Serve fresh or refrigerate and serve later
My husband can eat quite a bit sometimes, but he found that 1/4 serving was a bit too much – cutting the casserole into 6 pieces might be better.