Saturday I made stew and yesterday I made a whole chicken in the crock-pot. It’s so easy cooking with a slow-cooker!
I made a different slightly different version of the stew I have posted before. Stew is so versatile, I think sometimes it would be hard to mess up!
Easy Saturday stew:
- 2 packs stew meat
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup baby or diced carrots
- 1-2 cups diced or small potatoes
- 1 bottle of beer or 2 cups broth
- 1 can tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- Italian seasonings
- Olive oil
- Season meat with salt and pepper to taste
- Optional – sear meat before throwing in the slow-cooker
- Mix beer or broth, tomato paste, and a generous shake of Italian seasonings in the slow-cooker.
- Add diced vegetables and meat (if you don’t like you vegetables too soft, throw them in half-way through the cooking process)
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours
- You can also assemble the meal all together and freeze in large zip-lock baggies
Yesterday I also made a slow-cooker whole chicken like THIS ONE. I didn’t have any lemon, so I seasoned it heavily with garlic and paprika and tossed it in with a little bit of butter.
After I pulled the chicken out of the slow-cooker, I added about 5 cups of water to juices left in the crock-pot, 1/2 onion, carrots, and celery and a bay leaf and let cook on low overnight. I then strained the mixture and put it in the fridge to use today in a chicken chili recipe I’m going to try!