I’m actually finding grocery shopping a little more fun when I have challenged myself to eat good and healthy meals on a smaller budget. This week was a little harder, though, because I purchased splurge items for a Valentine’s Day dinner and dessert, and we were also out of expensive items like cheese, olive oil, and almond butter.
The Stores and their Deals
The Meal Plan
The Grocery List
The Final Cost
The stores and their deals: Raleys and Safeway
I got free eggs at Safeway by adding a coupon online onto my Safeway card and free romaine hearts from a Raleys coupon, plus a coupon for $2.99 Bryers Ice Cream (some of my all time favorite). Score!
I have recently developed a love for lemon-flavored Greek yogurt and Safeway had them on sale for $1 each! Usually they are about $1.79, and even Target had them on sale for $1.29.
We also had an extra glass bottle from our milk, so that’s $1.50 off our total grocery bill at Raleys.
The Meal Plan:
Saturday and Sunday: Out of town – Sunday it will probably be a “free night” dinner and I just may eat a grilled cheese sandwich with sprouted wheat and seed bread.
Monday: Vegetable Curry
Tuesday: Spinach and pepper stuffed chicken breasts with asparagus and dessert
Wednesday: Mom request: Creamy pork chops over rice + green beans (slow-cooker)
Thursday: Beef Verde Chili and side salad
Friday: Steaks with potatoes and asparagus
The Grocery List
- Items from vegetable curry were leftover from last week
- Grass-fed ground beef, 1 lb
- NY Steaks (splurge)
- Pork Sirloin
- Chicken Breasts (had already)
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Brussel Sprouts (have already)
- Romain Hearts
- 1 Onion
- 1 Bell Pepper (had already)
- Spinach (had already)
- 1 Bag of Potatoes
- Ice Cream (special splurge for Valentine’s Day)
- Olive Oil (we like the local, fresh EVOO)
- Kidney Beans
- Cream of Mushroom Soup (I know, naughty)
- Roasted Red Peppers (had already)
- Green Sauce (have already)
- Chocolate chips or Baking Chocolate (making lava cakes for Valentine’s Day)
- Powdered Sugar (have already)
Snacks and Breakfast:
- Greek Yogurt
- Cheddar Cheese
- All-natural Peanut Butter
- All-Natural Almond Butter
- Heavy Cream
- Spinach (have already)
The Final Cost (includes all meals, snacks, and dessert): $100.80
Not too bad considering the $9 olive oil (our favorite brand on sale) and the New York Steak ($16, on sale) we bought. This week I will try and put the cost per meal with each recipe as well.
So far so good! These last two weeks were about half of our grocery bill from the two week prior to that (YIKES! I know!).