It’s mid-January; how is everyone’s health resolutions coming along? How is shopping for healthy foods while trying to save money, working out?
I’m still learning and figuring out what works the best for us, what is available in our area, and how to make our meals the most nutritious they can be.
Our local farmers market is closed for the winter and so is one of the local CSA’s, so we are still a little behind with the produce.
We did find eggs from pastured hens through Craigslist, though! And we found a great grass-fed meat provider near us as well.
While I can wait for the hot weather to come back to town, I look forward to planting my first real garden at our first house! I especially want to grow and can tomatoes.
We have been getting back to eating healthy and recovering from the sugar over-load of the holidays. My husband has been working long hours and I have a wiggly 8 month old, so our meals are easy to prepare or quick to cook.
- Monday: Chicken fajita salad (fajitas made in crock-pot)(chicken, bell pepper, onion, romaine and spinach, cheese, sour cream, salsa, avocado, lime juice)
- Tuesday: Grilled sirloin steaks with broccoli and sweet potatoes
- Wednesday: Chili with no beans, topped with avocado and cheese
- Thursday: Lemon pepper chicken, beets and carrots, green salad
- Friday: Stew with onion, carrots, and sweet potato
Lunches: Leftover dinner from the night before
Breakfast: Eggs and bacon, cheese omelet, eggs and linguica