About two years ago my husband found a recipe for a sweet potato and bacon “salad;” it was a little too rich for me, but my husband loved it. The other day we were going to a friend’s house for dinner and charged with bringing a side. For some reason, I thought that the sweet potato and bacon salad had brussel sprouts, which my husband assured me did not. But brussel sprouts, bacon, and sweet potatoes sounded like a fabulous combo, so we decided to give it a try and create something new.
Sweet potatoes, salty bacon, savory brussels; sounds perfect to me! I imagined something hearty and satisfying, yet still somewhat green and my husband wanted to make sure we made something paleo or primal. I also did not want to make a dish that had a million ingredients. I’m the type of girl who wants simple, wholesome ingredients, and not need a huge list for the grocery store.
Anyways. We whipped the sweet potato, bacon, and brussel sprout salad up and it turned out great! It was a hit at the party and something we will definitely make again, probably for a 4th of July BBQ!
So here’s the recipe – simple, and very forgiving! If you change the quantity of the ingredients here or there, it should still be pretty tasty.
Click the icon to view shopping lists, total cost, and more
The Meal Plan:
Saturday and Sunday: Out of town – Sunday it will probably be a “free night” dinner and I just may eat a grilled cheese sandwich with sprouted wheat and seed bread.
Monday: Vegetable Curry
Tuesday: Spinach and pepper stuffed chicken breasts with asparagus and dessert
Wednesday: Mom request: Creamy pork chops over rice + green beans (slow-cooker)
Thursday: Beef Verde Chili and side salad
Friday: Steaks with potatoes and asparagus
What we actually ate:
Saturday through Tuesday went as planned, as did tonight’s dinner.
Wednesday: Beef tacos with lettuce, spinach, avocado, sour cream and cheese (I was really craving these and they were so satisfying to eat!)
Thursday: Creamy crock-pot pork (recipe at the bottom) with spinach salad
What I have left:
- A can of cream of mushroom soup (a cheat for most of us, probably)
- Green sauce
- green chiles
Creamy Crock-Pot Pork Recipe
(it’s not pretty, but it still tastes good!)
- 2 lbs pork chops, pork loin, or pork shoulder
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- Garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, diced
- Sprinkle pork with pepper and sear in hot pan with olive oil or animal fat
- Mix soup, milk, garlic, and some more pepper in slow cooker
- Place pork in slow cooker, making sure to coat with sauce mix
- Cook on low for 5+ hours (our pork was really thick sirloin chops, and they shredded beautifully after cooking all day)
- Serve on rice, with a spinach salad, or as a sandwich filling