While citrus may not be viewed as something “Christmas-y” (though, some people do put oranges in stockings), it’s in season and there is so much you can do with this pretty fruit. From cleaning supplies to seasonings, there are lot of DIY gift potential.
Tutorial links after the jump!
I’ve eaten more grapefruits in the last few months than I have in my entire life. I’m not sure if it because I am pregnant, or because I found a great way to eat them (maybe a little bit of both). Bonus? It only takes a few minutes to prepare!
There are different variations of this recipe, but the following is the one that’s my favorite:
Easy Broiled Grapefruit
- 1 grapefruit
- 1/2-1 tbsp butter
- 1-2 tsp honey (or brown sugar)
- Pinch of ground ginger (I haven’t tried using fresh)
- Turn oven on broil
- In a small dish, microwave butter until melted. Stir in honey and ginger
- Cut grapefruit in half, and section
- Place grapefruit halves on baking sheet (I put tinfoil on the baking sheet), open side up
- Spread butter and honey mixture onto the fruit
- Broil 4-6 minutes
*I usually only broil it for 4 minutes and while you have to be careful taking it out, it is usually just the right temperature to eat right away
*Work with the ingredient amounts to come up with what works for you!
*Some people also like to add cinnamon and cardamon to the mix
*If using brown sugar, it gets a little crispy under the broiler (= delicious)