It can be easy to make quality photo pendants and charms using resin. Some resin can be tricky to work with, but I’ve found that Castin’Craft’s Easy Cast Epoxy is actually very easy to use. You just need a few supplies and before you know it, you will have fun charms or keepsake photo pendants for you or for gifts!
- Castin’ Craft Easy Cast Epoxy
- Cup (disposable or only to be used for resin0
- Stir stick/plastic knife/Popsicle stick/tongue compressor
- Scrabble tiles, picture frame charms, cabochon settings, or other setting (I used charms like THESE)
- Glue (if using a bail or glueing a frame or scrabble tile onto another setting, use e600 or something similar)
- Scrapbook paper, digital negatives, small pictures, or other paper-type item
- Blow dryer (optional, but recommended)
- Optional – chain, key ring or ball chain, bails, or cufflinks
For this project, I used Costco’s 5×7 digital negatives and frame charms. In the photo on the top of this post, there are cufflinks made out of scrabble tiles, using pictures from a vintage bug dictionary. You can also do photos or scrapbook paper on scrabble tiles and glue a bail onto the back, or use a cabochon setting.
To make tiny pictures: In a photo editing software or PowerPoint create a 4×6 inch shape, insert the pictures you want to use and minimize them to your setting’s shape. Do a couple different sizes to play around with, fill up your 4×6 shape and have printed at a 1 hour photo place.
- Follow the Easy Cast directions and mix your epoxy. The amount you need will determine how many items you are using. A little bit goes a long way, so do several pendants at a time.
- Cut your paper/photo to fit your setting, tile, or frame; glue into place.
- Using your plastic knife, small spoon, or stick, carefully drop a small bit of resin on top of your photo. Use a toothpick to spread it into corners and sides. Add more if needed. Resin is thick enough to “dome” on to of a surface, like water on a penny.
- Using a blow dryer on low, directly above your pendant, carefully blow out any air bubbles.
- Keep in a warm, dry, place for 24+ hours until no longer sticky
- Glue a bail on the back of your tile, attach chain or key ring to your pendant, and enjoy!
- Charms for jewelry
- Key chains
- Necklace pendant
- Glue tiles onto bobby pins with settings, or other berets
- Wine glass charms
- Napkin ring charms
- Glue settings onto rings
- Glue onto picture frames
- Make 3D stickers by coating store-bought or handmade stickers with resin
- Use in goodie-bags and stocking stuffers
Don’t forget to “like” The Life of Lulu Belle on Facebook for extra goodies!